Sunday, April 20, 2014

Flannery O'Connor - A Good Man Is Hard To Find

I think this story was very surprising. I thought this story was going to be about a car trip with a family, but it was definitely far from that. The grandmother in the story is the typical grandmother, saying how polite people were in her day and how now 'a good man is hard to find'.  This is a reacuring theme throughout the rest of the story, because while she was talking to an escaped criminal, she was saying that he was probably a good man with a good family. I don't know what she was trying to do by saying that, because after the father was killed, I knew the whole family was going to be killed, and it was only a matter of time before she was disposed of. One really interesting thing did happen, right at the very end, the grandmother realizes the prisoner is her son, but he gets upset and shoots her anyways. I don't know how she could be his mother, but the way he reacted could mean she was. I found that part interesting but also confusing.

The title "A good man is hard to find" has significance in this story because it has to do with the fact that people change over generations. In the grandma's generation, people were polite, and they respected their elders and their homelands, and they did what they were told. In the grandchildren's generation, they were loud and obnoxious and sometimes bratty. The difference between these generations is that in the grandmother's generation, good men were everywhere because they were so disciplined, but in the children's generation, a good man is hard to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment